Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Colchuck Peak via Colchuck Glacier

I had one last day off before we entered into more end of the year conferences with the staff team and even more importantly before we moved back to Idaho for the season. I knew that i would miss Leavenworth and the cascades dearly while I was away so i had to take advantage. I decided that i would spend the day going for a summit on Colchuck Peak via the glacier, it seemed like a reasonable goal for a day and i looked forward to it because i had never been up Colchuck though i had gazed at it many times from the lake. I really wanted to try the North buttress couloir after i had ready a blog posting by local hardman Jens Holsten but without a partner and with days getting shorter I opted for the simpler approach. I left Plain at around seven planning to arrive at the trailhead by eight. Some unforeseen construction on highway two put me a half an hour behind schedule but i wasnt worried. I made the usual time to the lake  (about an hour and fifty minutes or so). The weather was ideal and i looked eagerly up at my objective.
dragontail peak large and in charge on the left and Colchuck on the right, the glacier forms in between 


I made quick time skirting around the lake and was soon at the base what was to become the crux of the day. the lower moraine was covered in just enough snow to make every step a gamble. the going was slow but with much effort i found myself at the base of the glacier propper.

the glacier to the notch


the great walls of Dragontail were spitting out plenty of ice and the occasional stone. I chose a path more to the right to avoid the hazards and made haste up the steepening snow. towards the top the late season conditions revealed some small open crevasses and a burgshrund. with a large step over i was on my way to the notch.

the shrund

after i gained the notch i rested and enjoyed the views

clear views all the way to Mt Rainier!


from the notch i basically cheated and followed Jens' footsteps to the summit where the views opened up even more!

dragontail and parts of the upper plateau 

mt stuarts north ridge


with snow conditions as good as they were i found myself back at the lake it about an hour where i rested and ate some food and watched the sun dip behind the mountains. timing worked out perfectly and i made a leisurely hike back to the car arriving just as dusk turned to darkness. what i great day to be in the mountains enjoying the creation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment